Friday, July 13, 2012

5 years...

July 7th, Zane and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary. There many things I want to articulate about our marriage. How we have grown in our love, understanding and commitment.  But narrowing those thoughts to one post, is daunting. So for now, here are a few thoughts I jotted down in a letter to Zane.

July 7, 2012

Dearest Zane,

This year I opted for a letter instead of my usual Hallmark.  Happy Anniversary!!! I can hardly believe it has been 5 years. In some ways our wedding day seems like yesterday- in other ways like a lifetime ago.

I am so glad- so grateful I married you. You are the calm and steady that I need. In the ways that I am easily stressed or worried, you are stress resistant. Thank goodness. You are patient where I am impatient. You are forgiving when I want to continue the tug of war. You are loyal, when I want to sever the ties. You tolerate with grace my opinions. My strong opinions. You are content in the day to day grind. I am too. Sometimes. And when I'm not, you let me talk options and possibilities. You are open to my new adventures and will let me pull you along. Honey, these are just a few of the ways you balance and complete me.

I admire your commitment and steadfastness in providing for our family. I know we can be  a bit of an expense. I admire your servant's heart as you serve and help me and the kids in so many ways. I admire your eyes to see the best in others- in me. To love and adore me, Jack and Lucy unconditionally. I admire your strong desire to walk with Christ and to lead our family in doing the same.

I think, if someone were to ask me, I would have to say that, "No. Life does not look as I thought it would." It is far better. Not because it is always the life or marriage of ease. There are times it certainly is. But because we- you and I - are committed to whatever it takes to go the distance. To love one another intentionally, wholeheartedly and well. To always return to His truth because it is the one thing that brings life and freedom.

You are a blessing. God's answer and provision to a 1000 (or more) of my prayers. I would choose to say "yes" again today and every day for the rest of my life. So happy 5 years to the love of my life. Here's to many more. After all, we've only just begun.

love always,
S.

                                                                         THEN...
 



NOW...
 









No comments:

Blog Archive